OBKC at a Glance
Al-Makassed Omar Bin Al-Khattab College (OBKC) is one of the largest Beirut campuses of Makassed Philanthropic Islamic Association of Beirut. OBKC was founded in 1931 in the heart of Tareek Jadeeda, a highly populated area in the heart of Beirut. As a private, co-educational Lebanese Anglophone K-12 school, OBKC has dedicated its efforts since its beginning towards the fulfillment of the educational needs of the middle-class community under the supervision of the Directorate of Educational Affairs at Makassed Philanthropic Islamic Association. Every year, OBKC welcomes more than 1400 students of different backgrounds and from various areas of Lebanon in a safe, friendly and educational environment sustained by a professional staff of approximately 120 educators and administrators.
Lebanese Baccalaureate Program
OBKC follows the curricula set by the Directorate of Educational Affairs at Makassed Philanthropic Islamic Association of Beirut that are coherent with the learning objectives set by the Lebanese Ministry of Education. Such curricula prepare the students to join the Lebanese Baccalaureate Program offered at OBKC in English only to students who pass Grade 9 official exams. In their first year in this program (Grade 10), students branch out into one of two tracks: General Sciences or Economics and Sociology. In their second year (Grade 11), the students branch out further into one of three Scientific tracks: Life Sciences, General Sciences, or Economics and Sociology. At the end of this program, all students are assessed by comprehensive exams set by the Ministry of Education. The quality of teaching and learning offered to OBKC students ensure that they are accepted at renowned local as well as foreign universities worldwide.
OBKC implements an ICT program which is available to students from preschool to Grade 12. This program aims at enabling students to acquire proficient computer skills that allow them to fulfill computer-related tasks, prepare for their future careers and become "professional" digital, twenty-first century learners.
STEM and CODING Program
Starting 2017, OBKC has started offering its intermediate (7-9) and high school (10-12) students regular STEM and CODING sessions. Coding and STEM Education sessions have been initiated at Makassed OBKC as part of Cycles Three and Four curriculum in an endeavor to prepare lifelong learners with proficient STEM literacy. A special syllabus is followed to assist young learners in developing life skills through authentic STEM situations.
School Accreditations and Awards
“Changing everyday challenges to exceptional memorable experiences”
• In 2015-2016, Al Makassed Omar Bin Al Khattab College was awarded the International School Award (ISA).
• Code Award in the First Lebanon Raspberry Pi Competition for the “Virtual Eye” invention.
• A patent for the “Virtual Eye” invention during the “Lebanon Science Fair” or “Mubarat Al Ouloum”.
The second place silver medals for the “Virtual Eye” invention in the international science competitions in Kuwait (The International Fair for Inventions in the Middle East) and Turkey (ISIF).
• Initiation of STEM and Coding classes, a nationwide pilot school program.
• First place in "Company Program" competition organized by INJAZ Institution in Lebanon
• The second place and the “Presentation Award” among schools across Lebanon in the First Lego League (FLL).
• In 2017, the second place in an interschool competition organized by the Department of Nursing & Health Sciences—Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences at Notre Dame University-Louaize.
• In 2017, first place in the E-Waste Competition during Earth Hour Lebanon—2017.
• First international prize to OBKC choir for "The Sun of Peace" song - Japan
• First prize in "Kids Read" international competition organized by the British Council
• First prize in "Teachers Read Competition" organized by the British Council
• First prize in "Kids Read School Portfolio Competition" organized by the British Council