Rules and Regulations at OBK
Discipline, in general, is important because it teaches a person to be responsible , respectful, and decisive. School discipline is the system of rules, punishment, and behavioral strategies appropriate to the regulation of children or adolescents and the maintenance of order in schools. Its aim is to control the students' actions and behavior.
a) General Instructions
To get the most out of a good education, students need to go to school every day. School attendance has a major influence on educational outcomes. Students who attend school regularly are more likely to achieve better results at school and are more likely to complete their schooling.
It is very important that parents reinforce the importance of good attendance and punctuality. These are life skills that will improve their child's academic achievement and develop behavioral patterns of responsibility and discipline. It will also pay dividends in student achievement and preparation for life after school.
OBK students must abide by the school hours and the daily schedule.
Physical Education skills are the bases for the physical and intellectual development of a person. Therefore, students are not exempted from P.E.classes unless they present a medical report stating the reasons for the exemption
b) Tardiness and Leaving School without Permission
1 - School gates open at 7:00 am. Students are expected to arrive before the bell at 7:20 am. Arriving after this time is considered tardiness.
2 - Leaving school without permission is considered a violation of the school system.
- In the first instance, the student will be subjected to a verbal warning, and his parents will be called to clarify the reasons.
- In the second instance, the student will be subjected to a written warning signed by the parents, and kept in his/her school file. He / She will also sign a contract in which the punishment is stated in case the conduct is repeated. Moreover, he/she will be deprived of attending the first period.
- In the third instance, the student will be subjected to another written warning signed by the parents, and he/she will be punished according to the mentioned punishment in the contract previously signed.
- In case tardiness is repeated, the student will be excluded for that day.
- In case of repeating the conduct of leaving the school with no permission, the student will be excluded for the coming day.
c) Authorized Early Departure
We expect parents to telephone the school before 07.30 am on the day of the early departure to take appropriate actions.
d) Authorized Absence
Regular school attendance is an important factor in school success. Research has shown a direct correlation between good attendance and student achievement. Poor attendance has been linked to poor academic achievement.
Therefore, we would like to raise the awareness to parents of the critical importance of students being on time and at school every day.
- If a student is absent for one or two days, we expect parents to send a satisfactory explanation to the school. No more than two valid excuses are accepted per trimester.
- If a student is absent for two consecutive days in cycles Three and Four, parents have to present a medical report to the head of the division.
- If a student is absent for three consecutive days in all cycles, parents have to present a medical report to the head of the division.
- Absence on a test day is authorized when a valid medical report is presented.
e) Unauthorized Absence
- The student gets a verbal warning in case of unauthorized absence for the first time. Parents will be informed.
- In the second instance, the student has to sign a written warning, and parents are asked to come to school to sign it. The student also signs a contract in which appropriate punishment is mentioned in case the conduct is repeated. The warning is kept in the student's school file.
- In the third instance, the student will be punished according to the contract signed before.
f) Absence during Tests
- If a student is absent without a valid medical report on a test day, he/she will lose the right to do the test and will get a zero on it.
- If a student is absent the day preceding or following a test without a valid medical report, he/she will sign a written warning, and have a reduction of 25% from the grade of the tests that are done before or after the day of absence.
II. Discipline Policies
a) General Instructions
The school aims at developing the personal capabilities of the student, which in turn build his/her self-confidence and strengthen his/her discipline.
The school expects from students proper conduct in dealing with everyone on campus. They should follow the instructions of both teachers and administrative faculty, respect others and their property,as well as school property, abstain from using any cursive language, and deal with others politely and gently. They should also obey classroom and school-wide rules.
b) Disciplinary Procedures
A student who violates classroom or school-wide rules may be subject to penalties. Penalties include verbal warning, written warning, written notice to the parents, parent-teacher conferences, in-school suspension, short-term suspension (less than 10 days), long-term suspension (more than 10 days) or expulsion (out of school indefinitely).
The consequence given to each student will be dependent on his/her prior behavior and a number of behavioral incidents the student has accumulated during the school year.
The process for developing a penalty includes:
1 - An apology and a verbal warning
2 - An apology and a written warning signed by the student and his/ her parents
3 - Another written warning signed by the student and his parents states the expected consequence when the misbehavior is repeated
4 - Suspension ( a temporary removal from school for a period of time)
Note: Disciplinary Probation: It’s a last chance for the student to prove his/her ability to follow school regulations while being under the threat of expulsion.
5 - Expulsion (dismissal from school for at least the remainder of the school year)
Note: In case of damaging a school property, that student has to pay the expense of repairing it.
c) Discipline Through-Out the Exams:
During tests, students should follow teachers' instructions at all times. Teachers have the freedom to expel any student from the exam room if the latter misbehaves. Verbal, written, or any kind of cheating will be dealt with severely.
- In the first instance, that student will get a verbal warning, will not be allowed to resume the exam, and will receive a failing grade.Parents will be informed.
- In the second instance, that student will sign a written warning, will not be allowed to resume the exam, and will receive a failing grade. Parents will sign the warning, and it will be kept in the student's file.
- In the third instance, the student will sign another written warning which will be signed by parents and kept in the student's file. That student will receive a zero on all tests.
d) School Uniform:
School uniform nurtures the feeling of pride and belonging. Thus, the personal outlook should be clean, practical, and decent.
- Students are expected to wear the school uniform (shirt, sweater, dark blue pants, and P.E. uniform) during school hours and during extra-curricular activities unless assigned otherwise. Not conforming to this regulation will subject the student to a written warning if it is his/her first time, and his/her parents will be called to come to school to bring the proper uniform. If this coduct is repeated, parents will be called to take him/her back home.
- Wearing Make-Up is prohibited.Any facial make-up will have to be removed, and it subjects the girl concerned to a written warning. If the action is repeated, her parents will be called to accompany her back home.
- Wearing the Physical Education uniform is a must in all P.E. classes.
Prohibited Items on Campus
Although the school respects students’ privacy, school personnel are obliged to ensure a safe and appropriate environment on campus. Therefore, the school board instructs its employees, and in particular, school administrators, supervisors and teachers to take extreme measures when students are suspected of possessing items prohibited by school regulations such as fireworks, capsules with rotting odors, harmful and dangerous instruments, videos and pictures (political or obscene),etc..
- Cycles One and Two students are not allowed to get their cell phones to school on school days. When caught, parents will be informed, and the phone will be kept in school till the end of the school year.
- Cycles Three and Four students are allowed to get their cell phones to school, but not to use them during the school day. Cell phones are to be kept in a special locker in the classroom.When not abiding by the rule, the phone will be taken by the administration and never given back to the student till the end of the school year after informing the parents.